The Qualities You Need From Your Team Members
A topic we often hear about is what employers are looking for in a company and how employers can provide this. Flexibility, healthcare, work/life balance, to name a few. But the other side of the employee/employer relationship is what employees should be looking for in team members and what qualities they should possess.
Not sure where to begin? Here are a few things you should be looking for and how to find the right candidates for your team.
1. A positive attitude
If you’ve been in the workforce for a while, you’ve probably heard the saying “hire for attitude and train for skill”, and there’s a reason why this phrase has become so popular.
When you hire for the right attitude,you’re making sure to bring in someone who is a good culture add to your team. And, even know they might not have the exact same skills you need for that position, they’ll have the right attitude to be trained.
2. Good learning skills
This recruiting intelligence site states that “Learning ability starts with a demonstrable track record of the early identification of current and emerging corporate problems and opportunities. The individual then acts proactively to continually find, understand, and connect seemingly unrelated leading-edge knowledge, information, best practices, and solutions”.
This quality should be at the top of your list when hiring a new employee.
3. A team player
Having someone in your team who knows how to work with others is key. You should look for someone who is passionate about accomplishing their goals while also helping others accomplish theirs. This can make a project flow smoothly and encourage strong relationships amongst team members.
4. An honest candidate
Psychology today explains that a vital quality for a team member is honesty. “A good team member is up front. He/she doesn’t play games, or lead others on. You can count on a good team member to tell you what’s what, regardless of whether it is good news or bad news”.
5. Good communication skills
Having the ability to communicate, even when there are different points of view within a group, is important not only to keep a project moving forward, but also to keep employees engaged and productive. A skilled, tactful communicator will be a great addition to your team.
How to Find the Right Candidate
Finding the right candidate that has all these qualities is not an easy task. Here are a few ways you can get started:
- Knowing your ideal candidate: Before you get started, make a list of what qualities and skills you’re looking for.
- Engaging your current employees: Ask your current employees what they think would be a good addition to the team and keep them informed.
- Writing clear job descriptions: Make sure your job description is clear in order to get the right applicants that truly fit the desired profile.
- Using a recruitment tool or a recruiter: This time-consuming task might be much easier if you get help from a professional
- Optimising your career site: Remember your website is a great way to get the word out there and encourage job seekers to apply.
- Implementing a using a referral program: This will keep your current employees engaged and could make the process easier for you!
If you have all the right team members, make sure to empower them with the best project management tool! Contact Kimonus today to learn more.